In Short: Parkinson’s Voice Initiative reaches 100K calls, as a restaurant asks you to check your phone

• Max Little, who gave the recent talk “A test for Parkinson’s with a phone call,” let us know that the Parkinson’s Voice Initiative has reached its goal of collecting 100,000 voice samples — which they needed to ensure the accuracy of their over-the-phone test for the disease. “It’s probably the fastest ever, large-scale Parkinson’s study,” Max tells us, adding that interested parties can keep calling. “The more data we get the better.”
    .
  • This restaurant in Los Angeles is offering diners a five percent discount on their bill if they agree to check their smartphone at the door. [Los Angeles Times] This news comes just as Time Magazine releases a poll that shows that three-quarters of people between the ages 25 to 29 sleep with their phones. [Time]
    .
  • Cartoonist Jim Toomey talks about creating his ocean-inspired comic strip, Sherman’s Lagoon. [Mission Blue]
    .
  • TED Fellow Jon Gosier is looking to raise $ 60K in 28 days to fund his film and book, The Cheetah Code, a look at Africa’s young creative class and its rapidly evolving technology sector. [Kickstarter] Jon borrowed the term ‘cheetah’ from the TEDTalk by George Ayittey “on Cheetahs vs. Hippos.”
    .
  • This week, the editor-in-chief of the University of Georgia’s The Red & Black student newspaper resigned, several top editors walking out with her. Their issue: “In less than a month, The Red & Black has hired more than 10 permanent staff with veto power over students’ decisions.” The editors have since established the site Red & Dead to give updates on the situation. [Metafliter] Perhaps the University of Georgia’s administration should check out Sasa Vucinic’s talk from TEDGlobal 2005, “Investing in free press.”
    .
  • Here, a fascinating look at the psychological factors barring us from tapping one of the most obvious sources to solve the global water crisis — waste water. [Fast Company]
    .
  • Anyone passing through New York in the next two weeks should check out Taryn Simons’ exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art, as it closes September 3. [MOMA] Everyone else should watch her talk, “Photographing secret sites.”
    .
  • Yesterday, the fund to build a Nikola Tesla Museum in upstate New York was at $ 400,000. This afternoon, it has reached $ 533,830. [IndieGogo]

TED Blog

About author

Global Syndicated News

The Australian Society of Entrepreneurs is dedicated to providing businesses and entrepreneurs a place to be educated, network and learn about the latest entrepreneur news. We syndicate and aggregate quality articles from around the world, feel free to browse our eight thousand plus articles and posts. live events are now open in Australia and Hong Kong.

View all posts by Global Syndicated News